Week Two: Course Reflections Post
For week two this is the first of two posts. Today’s post is
structured around the specific assignment questions set by the OLC course, and
therefore is a bit more regimented than my style would be otherwise. My second post, coming this weekend, will provide
a summary of my research thus far and another curated list of resources from
the news and CoP’s this week, following the pattern I established in week
one. So if you’re following along to see
new information and research, you might want to check back Sunday.
Reflections on the
Learning Process in Relation to Week 1 Learning Goals:
What were your
learning intentions for the week, and did you follow through on those?
My goals for week 1 were defined in a post on September
17. To summarize, they were:
·
Join Communities of Practice to learn more about
these topics, including the International Institution for Innovative
Instruction at Franklin University, Instructional Design Central, eLearning
Industry, and the Gamification Research Network.
·
Participate in discussions and engage with posts
by these groups, particularly on Twitter
·
Begin identifying and locating both recent and
seminal works on these topics to explore in weeks 2-4
I joined the email list or community (LinkedIn or Twitter)
for all of the groups identified in the first goal. I also began following leaders in
Gamification and Instructional Design (who have published on these topics or
were affiliated with these groups) on Twitter.
In terms of discussions, I have also attended a two-day
conference presented by Quality Matters on online education, including
listening to presentations on OER and student engagement topics and engaging in
the chat for online conference participants.
I am also enrolled separately in a workshop on Gamification that runs
this week, which I had registered for several months ago. That enabled me to discuss some articles and
readings directly with other ID’s and faculty members.
Lastly, I have identified and gathered articles and books on
all of my trends and theories identified in week 1: Open Educational Resources,
Gamification, and Component Display Theory.
I have begun to read through these, although that process was delayed by
the heavy reading load and additional assignments associated with the other
aspects of this course for week two (on critical and creative thinking and
metacognition).
If you were
sidetracked, was it beneficial or do you need to revise your learning
strategies to stay on track?
I was not sidetracked by my CoP’s or research, since those
are fluid tasks anyway and one needs to maintain a broader contextual awareness
of all the things being discussed while focusing on the specific details one is
researching. I have extensive practice
at this, since history as a field is all about learning how to research and noticing
patterns in the research at the same time one is paying attention to specific
details and storylines.
That said, I was hindered in this task by the cognitive
overload of having to read almost 20 different articles and websites about
critical thinking and metacognition.
Frankly, that is valuable information but there is too much going on in
this class to do both effectively in one week while working and attending
conferences (and running my own pedagogy sessions for fellow faculty on
campus).
I have put the first assignment related to critical thinking
due this week on hold for now. Since I
have prior experience and training in designing and assessing critical thinking
in higher education (including through the AAC&U VALUES rubrics reference
in the reading as well as with Paul and Elder’s booklet Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools also referenced in the
readings), I am confident I can develop a short assignment to submit by the
weekend. I feel my time is better spent
researching OER and Gamification, which are more directly relevant to what I am
doing professionally right now. My
strategy to stay on track is to minimize the time I spend on what I see as the
less fruitful and less important tasks (i.e. if you have only one day to do
them, you can only spend one day doing them, which is one technique for
minimizing distractions).
How does what you
learned this week relate to what you’ve previously learned?
In terms of the critical thinking and metacognition, very
few of the readings were new to me.
Therefore, that existing knowledge directly relates to what I read and
was simply a review.
What I have learned about gamification and open education
resources has enriched my understanding of the ways in which both can be
designed and implemented in higher education.
In essence, I have a more complex view of how both contribute to
Constructivist and Connectivist learning theories, and the specific elements
and processes one should consider when developing or using both in
courses. I have had less time to read about
Component Display Theory given everything else, but what I have read has helped
me to understand the origins of the theory and how it was later incorporate
into other instructional design theories.
Your Community of
Practice Involvement:
What types of
interaction have you engaged in with your CoP?
Is there anything you have learned intentionally or unintentionally from
your interactions this week?
My engagements have been both face to face and online with
at least four different Communities of Practice. Interacting with presenters and audience
members at the Quality Matters conference involved chatting online while I
attended the conference virtually through Zoom.
Likewise, my interactions with the Gamification workshop have thus far
been online through discussion boards or through engaging with posts and
articles shared on Twitter. The
remaining two CoP’s were face-to-face on my campus—engaging with instructional
designers also enrolled in OLC workshops or familiar with the theories we are
discussing and with my peers in the social sciences discussing pedagogy
techniques and practical applications of theories, practices, or resources
(including OER). Most of my learning has
been filling in details on the larger framework of my understanding of these
topics and was intentional—i.e. I sought out posts, presentations, or
discussions that impacted something I wanted to learn more about.
Unintentional learning thus far probably is best summarized
as interpersonal skills like how to network and start discussions on
intellectual and theoretical topics with people you do not know well—because it’s
just weird to be like “hey, how about that constructivist interpretation of
adaptive learning tool X? Do you really
think the learner analytics and platform support that kinds of social learning?”
to a total stranger, even at a conference.
How is your
involvement in this CoP similar to, and different from, other learning networks
or CoP’s you’ve interacted with, and what might you need to change/keep the
same in order to improve your experiences?
I’ve found most of the CoP’s that were suggested in this
course to be limited in their scope and/or utility. That’s the nature of recommending general
groups that address broad topics or whole professions. The only one that I have found somewhat useful
in locating articles or materials relevant to my topics was eLearning
Industry. That said, the existing
networks I have developed of instructional designers or other faculty interested
in pedagogy and instructional models, or through professional organizations in
which I am a member, have continued to be helpful in finding information of
relevance to these topics and facilitating conversations with
practitioners. In that sense, I don’t
think I need to change much but instead to continue building connections with
individuals I meet in person or virtually as part of professional
organizations, conferences, and workshops.
I hope to post more of a summary of the research and topics
later this weekend, after the assignments for this week are completed and
submitted.
Wow! I'm impressed by how much you have been able to juggle. I thought I had a lot going on, but two conference, taking and facilitating workshops on top of everything is impressive time management. My boss was at the QM conference this past week and she loved it. It sounds like that conference is a great place to engage with others and had a very cooperative feel among participants which hasn't always been my experience with teaching and learning conferences. I'll be interested to see how your work on Component Display Theory comes to be, as that is something that I know nothing about but it sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some respite this upcoming week and it is less hectic!
Job well done this week, Jessica - I greatly appreciate your candid responses and am happy to hear that you are satisfied with your current associations within COPs - and that perhaps you have a renewed commitment to connecting with individuals and re-engaging with them.
ReplyDeleteI am curious what you have found in relationship to OER and gamification which is definitely its' own niche and focus - I'm impressed with what you've been able to accomplish in a short period of time. Keep it up! Leah